William Fitz-Andelem de Burgh
William Fitz-Andelem de Burgh (23) (? - 1204), Lord Governor of Ireland 1177, married (1st) Lady Isabel of England (widow of Llewelyn, Prince of Wales.)
His son was Richard Mor de Burgh the Great (22) (? - 1243), Lord of Connaught and Trym, Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland 1227, who married Lady Hodierna de Gernon (22) (granddaughter of King Odo O'Connor (24) and daughter of Robert de Gernon (23) by Una O'Connor (23).)
His mother was Princess Agnes of France (24) (? - ?), who married Adelem de Burgh (24), Steward to King Henry II of England, Governor of City of Wexford, Ireland.
(Llewlyn was the last native Celtic/Gaelic Prince of Wales. He was more or less king of Wales, second only to the King of England. After he was killed, the heir apparent of the king was titled Prince of Wales, a custom that comes down to today.)
From the Encyclopaedia Britannica:
originally BURGO, also spelled BOURKE, BURKE, a historic Anglo-Irish family associated with Connaught. Its founder was William de Burgo, of a knightly family from eastern England; he and his descendants were granted much of Connaught in the late 12th century, and his grandson Walter was also granted Ulster. Although Walter's great-grandson, William, left no male heir, his kinsmen succeeded in holding the bulk of the Burgh lands and, adopting Irish names, became virtually native chieftains. Their two main branches, those of "MacWilliam Iochtar" and "MacWilliam Uachtar," acquired respectively the earldom of Clanricarde and the viscountcy of Mayo.
ancient "ULAID," one of the ancient provinces of Ireland, and subsequently the northernmost of Ireland's four traditional provinces (the others being Leinster, Munster, and Connaught). Because of the Ulster cycle of Irish literature, which recounts the exploits of Cú Chulainn and many other Ulster heroes, Ulster has a place of great prominence in Irish literature.
Ancient Ulster extended from the northern and northeastern coasts of Ireland south to what is now County Louth and west to what is now County Donegal. About the beginning of the Christian era, when the ancient provinces of Ireland were first taking permanent shape, Ulster had its capital at Emain Macha, near Armagh. Attacks from the midland kingdom of Meath (Midhe, or Mide) led to Ulster's disintegration in the 4th and 5th centuries. The province subsequently split into the three kingdoms of Oriel, or Airgialla (in central Ulster), Aileach (in western Ulster), and the smaller kingdom of Ulaid (in eastern Ulster).
During the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland in the late 12th century, one of the baronial adventurers, John de Courci, captured eastern Ulster and ruled that small kingdom until dispossessed in 1205 by King John, who created Hugh de Lacy (d. 1242) earl of Ulster. From 1263 to 1333 the earldom was held by the Anglo-Norman family of de Burgh, passing then to an heiress who married Lionel, duke of Clarence, a son of King Edward III, and ultimately to the crown.
In the 16th century Ulster was administratively divided into nine shires (counties), of which those in the Republic of Ireland still exist. Meanwhile, the O'Neills (of County Tyrone) and the O'Donnells (of County Tyrconnell) had become virtually supreme in much of Ulster. These two Roman Catholic clans were involved in a serious rebellion against Queen Elizabeth I from 1594 to 1601, caused in part by attempts to impose the English Reformation on the Irish. The failure of negotiations with James I led to the flight of the northern earls of Tyrone, Tyrconnell, and many others in 1607. Soon afterward thousands of settlers, mainly Lowland Scots Presbyterians, were introduced into Ulster, and particularly into its eastern portions, which became predominantly Protestant as a result. Their descendants prospered, and their refusal to join the rest of Ireland in accepting Home Rule led to the establishment of the state of Northern Ireland in 1920, consisting of the six Ulster counties of Antrim, Down, Armagh, Londonderry, Tyrone, and Fermanagh (replaced in the early 1970s by 26 local districts). The three Ulster counties of Monaghan, Cavan, and Donegal were included in the Republic of Ireland. The name Ulster is now commonly applied to Northern Ireland. In December 1999 governmental powers finally devolved to Northern Ireland, as a coalition (including Sinn Féin) led the newly elected (June 1998) Northern Ireland Assembly.
Irish Luimneach (Bare Land), county borough, port, and chief town of County Limerick, Ireland, occupying both banks and King's Island of the River Shannon at the head of its estuary. The Norse, who sacked the early settlement in 812, made it the principal town of their kingdom of Limerick; they were expelled at the end of the 10th century by the Irish hero Brian Boru. From 1106 to 1174 it was the seat of the kings of Thomond, or North Munster. Richard I granted it a charter in 1197. King John (reigned 1199-1216) granted it to William de Burgh, who founded English Town and erected a strong castle. In the 15th century its fortifications were extended to include Irish Town, and it became one of the strongest fortresses of the kingdom. After an unsuccessful siege by William III, its resistance was ended in 1691 by the treaty of Limerick. In 1609 it had received a charter constituting it a county of a city and also incorporating a society of merchants. Fragments of the old walls remain.
Under the Local Government Act of 1888, Limerick became a county borough with a city council. The city is divided into English Town (on King's Island), Irish Town, and Newtown Pery (founded 1769), the first including the ancient nucleus of the city and the last, the principal modern streets. The main stream of the Shannon is crossed by the Thomond and the Sarsfield, or Wellesley, bridges. The Protestant Cathedral of St. Mary was originally built in 1142-80. The modern Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John is in Early Pointed style. Communication with the Atlantic Ocean is open, while inland navigation is facilitated by a canal. Quays extend on each side of the river, along which lie a graving (dry) dock and a wet dock. Main imports are grain, timber, oil, and coal; exports are chiefly fish and agricultural produce. Industries include flour milling, bacon curing, and milk processing. Limerick is the centre of the Shannon salmon fisheries. The city benefitted from the establishment of the nearby Shannon hydroelectric power station. The National Institute for Higher Education at Limerick, begun in 1972, is part of the National University of Ireland. A teachers' training college, Thomond College of Education, is also at Limerick. Pop. (1981) 60,736.